Photo by Ovidiu Matiu
Dinu Tamazlacaru, originally of the Republic of Moldova, is a Principal Dancer of the Staatsballett Berlin. He charmed our audience at the 2014 WBC OPEN's Gala of the Stars (Watch Video Here) and is set to return to Sibiu once again!
We caught up with Dinu to learn about his past competition experiences - and discover details on his upcoming performance at the 2015 WBC OPEN's Gala of the Stars in Sibiu, Romania!
1. Where did you train in ballet?
My introduction with ballet was in my hometown, Chisinau, in the Republic of Moldova until the age of 16. Then I moved to the Vienna Conservatory where I perfected myself.
2. How did you land your Principal dancer position with the Staatsballett Berlin?
I had to improve myself through many roles before I was promoted to Principal dancer. I received the chance to be chosen by the choreographers who trusted me and whom made me richer by their different styles and visions of the dance art form.
3. What pieces are you performing at the 2015 World Ballet Competition OPEN’s Gala of the Stars?
Carnival of Venice and Les Bourgeois
5. What is your favorite part about the pieces?
Dinu Tamazlacaru performing at the 2014 WBC OPEN's Gala of the Stars. Photo by Ovidiu Matiu.
6. How do you prepare and warm-up before a performance?
A good sleep, a good barre and motivation.
7. Are you nervous before performing? If so, how do you calm your nerves?
I'm not nervous but I have a bit of adrenaline which is good to set my energy and feelings; When I step on the stage I let the character take over and I enjoy.
8. What is your “must-have” item when traveling?
9. You have competed in major ballet competitions and have been very successful – winning at the 2002 Prix de Lausanne, First Prize at the International Ballet Competition "Arabesque" in Perm, and Second Prize at the 4th Austrian Ballet and Tanzkontest. Did competing help you in your professional career?
Competitions accelerate your work: When you are still a student it gives you a concrete goal. It made me establish my own repertory, which has stayed in my body until now (i.e. Don Q, Swan Lake - these are pieces I use very often in galas and they have become easier). Competitions also gave me my first big challenges and are also very important to start the career -- to experience the beauty of the stage. And it is of course a good way to open doors.
10. What advice do you give to the dancers who will be competing in the World Ballet Competition OPEN?
First, to be prepared to work a lot because you need to remain confident. Competitions are a fabulous mix of the dance world reality of the moment and different kind of schools. You should not let yourself be too impressed by others but instead catch and learn from their good points. And then, with a winning spirit go forward because the profession is always ending under the spotlights of stage!
Dinu Tamazlacaru and featured artists at the 2014 WBC OPEN's Gala of the Stars. Photo by Ovidiu Matiu.
11. You danced in last year's WBC OPEN Gala of the Stars. Did you do any sight-seeing in Sibiu? If not, what/where do you want to visit?
I did not get the opportunity but this time I hope to see the charming old historical center of the city and of course to bring back a lot of honey because it is the specialty and that is part of my breakfast every morning ;)!
The World Ballet Competition (WBC) is a not-for-profit 501 (C) 3 organization whose sole purpose is to promote talent and fairness.
Give us a call at:
+1 407 849-4669
Special thanks to Discount Dance Supply, sponsor of the World Ballet Competition's 2017 Live Broadcast.
Discount Dance Supply is the biggest dancewear mega store offering brand dance and ballet shoes, dance clothing, recital costumes, dance tights.